14 Stunning Facts About Gold that You Didn’t Think You Wanted to Know.
1. This precious metal mainly came from meteorite impacts from about 200 million years ago. Therefore, it has been discovered on every continent on Earth.
2. It has been mined for over 5,000 years. It’s estimated that 200,000 tonnes has been mined. At present, China is the top producer of gold.
3. The word, ‘gold’ originates from the old English word, ‘gylden.’ For the Incas gold was known as ‘sweat of the Sun‘. But my personal favourite; the name for gold in the Aztec language is ‘teocuitlatl‘ which means ‘excrement of the Gods‘ Fantastic! (Is that why some people say, “holy shit?”)
4. A whopping 1.5 tonnes of this metal was found in Tutankhamen’s tomb.
5. The first gold coins appeared around 700 BCE.
6. Gold is pretty much indestructible. It is regularly melted down, purified, reused and it doesn’t rust. It is so pliable, a single ounce of it can be stretched into a gold thread 5 miles long.
7. It can conduct heat and electricity.
8. Astronauts’ visors are coated with a thin layer of gold to reduce glare and heat from sunlight.
9. The flakes of gold can be added to food and drink.
10. Your body contains approximately 0.2 mg of this precious metal.
11. There is no nutritional or health benefits of eating gold.
12. The Ancient Egyptians, the Romans and medieval Europeans used gold for healing purposes such as treating skin problems and sore limbs.
13. Believe it or not, gold was used to treat rheumatoid arthritis and tuberculosis. It was even thought that these two conditions were related but this hypothesis has been debunked. Gold compounds were used in the 1920s to treat tuberculosis. There was research that showed that gold can inhibit the behaviour of substances responsible for the production of antibodies and release inflammatory cytokines. So, rheumatoid arthritis sufferers were given liquid gold injections. Yikes!
14. There is research that indicated that tiny specks of gold could potentially be used to treat cancer. Scientists at Edinburgh University found it increased the effectiveness of drugs to treat lung cancer cells. However, the subjects of this research were zebrafish.
I hope you enjoyed reading this. Feel free to comment below.
Sources: ukbullion.com, investinganswers.com medicalnewstoday.com, justfunfacts.com, bbc.co.uk